Tooth Colored Composite Fillings in Arlington Heights and Mount Prospect, IL
In the past, teeth were most commonly repaired with silver fillings called amalgams. Thanks to modern dental material, teeth can now be restored with a more esthetic and natural appearance. One of the most commonly used tooth colored materials is composites. Composites look and feel just like natural tooth enamel. They are very often called tooth-colored restorations.
About Composite Fillings
- Composites are made of two or more different materials. Common composites are mixtures of a polymer and a ceramic, such as fiber – glass
- Dental composites are supplied in a wide range of shades to match the color and translucency of teeth
- Composite material can replace a small to moderate amount of tooth structure and is supported by the remaining tooth
- Composites are used as a filling material for decay, to repair chipped, broken, or worn teeth or to close spaces between teeth
- Less tooth structure needs to be removed compared with amalgam fillings
- New bonding technology makes composite filling stronger than ever before, however the use of dental composites is limited to restorations that are subjected to a range of low to moderate stress. As the size of the restoration increases, the stress on the restorative material increases
- Composites do not have the mechanical properties for long – term success in LARGE high- stress restorations
Benefits of Composite Restorations
With proper treatment planning and placement, composites restorations will succeed for many years.
Dr. Kakos and his associates pride themselves in providing the best and most advanced care in cosmetic dentistry. Don’t wait to get the perfect smile you’ve always wanted; give us a call and schedule an appointment. Reach out to our office by calling 847-758-0100 at your earliest convenience!